A healthy prostate is of special concern to older men. Prostate Guardian is specially formulated to maintain prostate health by supporting normal prostate size and proper urine flow. ∗
This formula adds selenium, lycopene and natural Vitamin E to Saw Palmetto for prostate health. Those are combined with antioxidants and other ingredients to promote prostate health for the long term.∗
The prostate is a small gland near the urethra in the pelvic area that is part of the reproductive system. Prostate health is monitored in part because maintaining normal gland size is important with other bodily functions. Even a healthy prostate naturally grows with age. Doctors can check the gland’s condition through physical exams and blood tests for prostate-specific antigens. However, none of the major health or physicians’ organizations recommend regular testing for prostate health. (1) They advise that doctors discuss prostate health with patients as young as 40, depending on the individual’s family history.
Why? For one, changes in prostate health occur gradually and may not initially be noticed. But if the gland, even a healthy prostate, reaches a certain size, it can affect the ability to pass urine. If the difficulties with prostate health become great enough, a man may need medical attention such as drugs or surgery.
Unfortunately, there is not yet a special diet that guarantees a healthy prostate. The same general guidelines for good health – eating right, exercising, etc. – also promote prostate health. Part of any plan to keep a healthy prostate includes getting the right nutrients. These ingredients contribute to prostate health and good health in general:
- Saw Palmetto: This natural substance is extracted from the berries of the small, shrublike tree found in warmer climates. Saw Palmetto and prostate health may be related because the ingredient has been shown to inhibit the enzyme that converts testosterone to its more active form, dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Higher levels of DHT can affect prostate health. Saw Palmetto is a leading product in Europe and has no significant side effects.∗
- Selenium: Each daily dosage delivers 200 micrograms of selenium in every daily dosage to promote prostate health. Selenium is an element of an enzyme that protects the body against oxidative damage. Based on preliminary information, scientists in 2008 and 2009 were conducting a large-scale investigation on whether raising selenium and Vitamin E levels through dietary changes could play a measurable role in supporting a healthy prostate. (2) The same trial study on prostate health was expanding an initial finding that as men aged, blood levels of selenium dropped.∗
- Natural Vitamin E: A powerful antioxidant, it has been shown to support prostate health in initial studies that were expanded in 2008. (2) Vitamin E has also been shown to play a role in immune function and DNA protection. (3) Vitamin E can also support eye health (4).∗ The natural form of vitamin E in is believed to be twice as effective as an antioxidant as synthetic vitamin E, thereby making it more effective and longer lasting. The alpha tocopherol isomer is the most active form of the Vitamin E compounds.
- Lycopene: The powerful antioxidant can be found in a number of foods such as tomatoes. The compound blocks the action of free radicals, which are activated oxygen molecules that can damage cells. It also supports proper DNA function for good prostate health. Lycopene has been studied for its role in maintaining healthy prostate function, in particular the prostate-specific antigen, or PSA. It can indicate prostate health. One study suggested that increased lycopene levels correlated with a short-term decrease in PSA levels in blood plasma. (5) ∗
- Zinc: This mineral is a key nutrient for promoting a healthy prostate. Zinc also contributes to good health by promoting the proper function of enzymes and other biological processes that influence prostate health. Zinc is recommended for individuals diagnosed as being at high-risk for age-related vision loss. A study that established age-related vision loss as a “nutrition-responsive disorder” found that a daily intake of 40 to 80 mg per day of zinc and antioxidants helped slow the progression of age-related vision loss. (6) A daily dosage supplies 30 mg of zinc. A daily intake is required because the body has no mechanism for storing the element. Zinc also helps brings vitamin A from the liver to the retina in order to produce melanin. And zinc plays a role in immune function. (7) ∗
- Ginseng – An herbal root used in Chinese medicine for over 2000 years to improve mental and physical vitality and enhance libido. Today, ginseng is widely used to increase stamina, endurance and overall athletic performance.∗
This vitamin for prostate health is formulated for males ages 46 and up. Take one tablet three times a day to support a healthy prostate. Each bottle, which has saw palmetto for prostate health, contains a month’s supply of 60 tablets.
* This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.